It’s no secret, Door County is bursting with beautiful nature. Everywhere you go, there is either a family park, hiking trails or breathtaking views.
Door County is home to five state parks, 19 county parks, four dog parks and dozens of town parks. It’s like an outdoor enthusiast’s dream land!
For family fun on the playground, there is a park in just about every town. Some are located on the water with a beach too! Though Fido isn’t allowed at most town parks, you can let him romp around at one of the dog parks located in Sturgeon Bay, Egg Harbor, Baileys Harbor and Sister Bay.
The county parks are a great way to spend the day, or even a few hours.
- Cave Point County Park is located in White Fish Dunes State Park. There are some amazing sites to be seen here with the caves that have been created by the wave of Lake Michigan.
- Ellison Bluff County Park is a smaller county park in Ellison Bay, but a local favorite. There is a lovely hiking trail, great picnic area and the most breathtaking view you’ll find! A wooden walkway leads you to the end of the bluff, with a safe catwalk that extends over the 100 foot cliff over looking the Bay of Green Bay. Definitely another site to be seen!
- Frank E. Murphy County Park is located just south of Egg Harbor on Horseshoe Bay. A great choice for families. Boat launches, picnic areas and a volleyball court can be enjoyed as well as the 1,600 feet of sand beach.
If you are looking for more adventure, check out of our State Parks.
- Whitefish Dunes State Park is a great place to enjoy Lake Michigan. Offering over 860 aces of shoreline, enjoy swimming and fishing. Or, hike the 14 miles of trails.
- Rock Island State Park is accessed by boat online. It is located about one mile northeast of Washington Island. There you can enjoy hiking, camping, swimming and fishing.
- Potawatomi State Park is in the southern part of the county featuring two miles of shoreline. A great choice to enjoy biking, hiking camping and skiing. They also have an observation tower, coming in at 75 feet tall!
- Newport State Park is just North of Ellison Bay. There you can find over 30 miles of trails. Great for hiking, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. With 11 miles of shoreline, there’s lots of fun to be had on the waters too!
- Peninsula State Park is the largest in the county and located in Fish Creek. With nearly 4,000 acres, there is something for everyone! An 18-hole golf course is a favorite as well as the sledding hill. Great year-round camping, light house tours, a nature center and a wonderful beach are just a few things at Peninsula State Park.
There are many more parks in the area that are worth checking out! Be sure to add some of them to your itinerary for your next trip!
**Also, just as a friendly reminder, Ephraim Motel will be opening earlier this year, and staying open later.
We will be open from May 4th – October 27th.**